Minutes of the Coon Valley Business Association Meeting
May 6th. The meeting was held at the Skybox.
The meeting was called to order by President Geoff Lenser at 5:15.
The minutes from the previous meeting were approved. A motion to accept was made by Carol Olson and seconded by Frank Mathison, the motion carried.
Beth Hanson reported that the general checking account has $2200.52 and savings has $823.54. Carol Olson reported that the Bingo checking has $5097.98 and the Trout Fest checking has $11,846.81 and savings has $2366.99. A motion to accept the treasurer’s report was made by Paul Lewison and seconded by Nancy Wedwick. The motion carried.
Trout Fest discussion:
- We decided to spend $600 for advertising. (the amount spent last year) We will use it for social media, radio and newspaper.
- Frank Mathison said the Legion will, again, donate 20% of the proceeds from the pancake breakfast to the Business Association.
- The vendor show can still take more vendors. Pass it on if you know of anyone. Frank Mathison also suggested that we add the word craft to the sign for the vendor show.
- Carol Olson reported that Trout Unlimited is on board to help again this year. They will help with kids fishing, stocking the creek and some prizes. Marie Glover will prepare some food that will be available for the kids and parents to purchase while fishing. We will need a few volunteers for this.
- The bands are booked. We have the Driftless River Band for our early entertainment and the Couleegans for the evening band.
- Castle Realty will offer their bounce house again. They are not able to set it up or staff it this year, so we will need volunteers for this.
- Geoff Lenser is in charge of the bags tournament. He will be registering teams at Legacy. The tournament will be a Round Robin this year allowing for more teams and more playing time.
- We will be doing the Bobber Drawing again this year. We decided to raise the cost to $2 a chance with a 50/50 payout. We also discussed selling pull tabs instead of 50/50 tip boards.
- We decided to do sponsorships to help pay for some of the events. A business sponsorship will have a banner or sign at the event they are sponsoring. If they are a stage sponsor, they will also get mentioned by the band during the music. Sponsorships for most events are welcome.
- We decided to try draft beer again as it is more profitable.
- We also decided to contact On3, a t-shirt printing company that prints shirts on site at the event. A motion to bring this to the event was made by Nancy Wedwick and seconded by Beth Hanson. The motion carried.
- We acquired a float from the Chaseburg Community Snowtrailers. We had initially voted to buy it for no more than $600, but they decided to donate it to us and the Canoe Race group as part of their sponsorship for the Canoe Race event. We decided to take the money we had voted to buy it with and use it to revamp for Trout Fest and Canoe Races. A motion to use the money for decorating the float was made by Paul Lewison and seconded by Nancy Wedwick. The motion carried. There will be a couple work days to get this ready before Sytende Mai and Memorial Day. I will send out an email with dates and times.
We decided to be a sponsor of the Canoe Races since we are the lead organization. A motion to be a silver sponsor, $1000, was made by Carol Olson and seconded by Paul Lewison. The motion carried.
Linda Schulte, who is the chairman of the beautification committee for canoe races, reported that she has chosen colors for flowers that we, and the canoe race group, would like businesses to consider planting. She chose yellow, red and blue. She has a sample planter if any businesses would like to purchase, or at least agree to plant the same color scheme in their existing planters. She will be visiting the businesses to talk about this. We also voted to plant the same color scheme of flowers around the 2 Coon Valley Signs. We would like to have a uniform look to our business area. A motion to spend $300 on flowers, was made by Carol Olson and seconded by Nancy Wedwick. The motion carried.
Franks Mathison reported that the Legion is having a Community Appreciation Day on Memorial Day with food at the Legion.
We did not receive a copy of our bylaws, so that will be discussed at the next meeting.
The next meeting is June 3rd at the Skybox at 5:15. Officers meeting May 28th at 9am at Legacy.
A motion to adjourn was made by Linda Schulte and seconded by Paul Lewison. The motion carried.
Let me know if there any changes to the minutes.